The 2017 Scholarship Application Period has now closed. All applicants will be contacted by mid-April via U.S. mail.
A $500 scholarship awarded to York County women who have demonstrated exceptional leadership potential, to be used toward college expenses at an accredited college or university.
Up to four (4) scholarships will be awarded in 2017 on a competitive basis.
Program Purpose and Description
A community is only as strong as its best leaders. Recognizing the influential role in York County of women as business and community leaders, York Traditions Bank, as part of its commitment to the local community, has created the Her Traditions Scholarship Program to help develop the leadership potential of women who will ultimately serve as role models for future generations of youth in the County.
• Residency – Female residents of York County who are 2017 graduating seniors at a public or accredited private high school in the County
• Leadership – Applicants must have also served as a class officer or held another leadership position in an organized, school-sponsored activity or community organization
• Academics – Grade point average of 3.0 or higher, on a 4.0 scale, maintained through the end of the junior year in high school
• Community Service – Applicants must have accumulated a minimum of 20 hours of community service within the past calendar year (12 months)
To ensure full consideration, students must submit all of the following by the application deadline of February 28, 2017:
• Completed Her Traditions Scholarship Program application form
• Academic transcript current through the end of the junior year
• Letter of recommendation from the adult supervisor of the club, organization or community service activity in which the student has held a leadership position
• On a separate sheet of paper, answer the following in 250 words or less: How do you define leadership? Describe how you have demonstrated leadership ability both in and out of school.
Applicants will be rated competitively by an advisory panel, who will select the top four (4) applicants for their potential as leaders and role models, based on the combined strengths of their academic records, recommendation letters and essay.
Once selected, recipients will be required to submit documentation of registration for the subsequent fall term at an accredited college or university that awards degrees at the Associate level or higher. Students who do not provide enrollment documentation will forfeit their scholarships. York Traditions Bank will attempt to award forfeited scholarships to alternate recipients.
Application Period and Deadlines
The 2017 Her Traditions Scholarship Program closed on Friday, February 28, 2017. Details and application materials will be posted in the fall for the 2018 Scholarship Program.